Custom Search

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Diamond Caverns

Diamond Caverns are located within the Mammoth Cave National Park, but they are privately owned. My husband and I have been to a lot of caves, including Mammoth Caves, Lincoln Caverns, Cumberland Caverns, Kentucky Caverns, Ruby Falls, the Lost Sea, and probably more. This one struck me as pretty interesting as far as private caves go. It was a very wet cave, and had something we hadn't seen before: a honeycomb like rock, which we were told was created when pyrite was eaten out of the rock by sulfuric acid, which was formed when carbonic acid came into contact with the rock. The carbonic acid would be created by the limestone I believe. I think that's pretty interesting. Our guide was freindly, but didn't exactly seem to like his job. There was also a nice gift shop, with leaves dipped in silver and gold for christmas ornaments. We bought one of those, to go with a similar one we have, of an aspen leaf we got at Rocky Mountain National Park. Ultimately, this cave, as is any cave, is a good way to spend a winter day. I would give it a B.

No comments: