Custom Search

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Rau!

This is about an art exhibit that I went to see some time ago, considering the items on the exhibit were sold after the tour was over, I'm not sure it's worth your time, but it's worth mine to write it

I visited the Rau exhibit at the Tennessee Museum in Nashville, on its almost last day here in the U.S. The exhibit was named for the man who had collected these works for his personal collection over the past 30 years. The subtitle was six Centuries with the European Masters. Some of the highlights were a Portrait of a Young woman by Bernardino Luini, who's work is often mistook for DaVinci's, as this painting once was. Saint Domino in Prayer, by El Greco, David Decapitating Goliath by Guido Reni, Woman with a Rose by Auguste Renoir, which I seem to remember copying in art class in highschool, Several works by Claude Monet and by Camille Pissarro, Woman with a Black Hat by Edouard Manet, as well as self portraits by Edgar Degas and Edouard Vuillard. My husband and I had a good time, though the exhibit was fairly packed because this was the next to last day of exhibit. The paintings were very intersting to look at, and Jake had to conceed that he liked the impressionists' work more than he thought he would. I liked seeing the art like this becuase experience is a better teacher than a textbook, and also, it's hard to study a painting by a photograph, because you can't really see the paint.

I haven't had much opportunity to examine paintings. Nashville doesn't have a lot in the way of museums, but this collection was a solid lesson in art history, and I greatly appreciated the opportunity to see these works.

No comments: