Custom Search

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lancaster County

Today I'd like to talk about Lancaster County Pennsylvannia. There is a large number of amish and menonite people living in this religion. I found this area to be very fun and enjoyable. First, let me say we had some wonderful home cooking at the Bird in Hand Restaurant in the town Bird in Hand. We finished off our meal with shoo fly pie, which was great. I think is best described as an apple pie without the apples, and extra cinammon. Then we went on Aaron and Jessica's buggy rides, which was interesting. In one way, I was disappointed, because I was hopping to ride in one of the small enclosed buggies that you see so often. Instead, several of us rode in a more wagon like rectangular buggy, that was roofed, but mostly open air. However, this was made up for by the man who drove the buggy. He was an amish man whose name was Meno, I believe. I had not expected this, as I was aware the the amish are somewhat private people, and I did not really expect to find an amish person involved with a tourist operation. He told us that the Amish generally didn't like to have their pictures taken, and to keep an eye out for road apples from the horses. We rode the buggy through the farmland, where houses all had laundry out to dry, and the air was clean, and the views nice, considering there were no power lines in the way. We stopped by one house where some children were selling souvenir horseshoes that had been brightly painted for only a few dollars each. After our nice little ride we headed up to the gift shops where I bought a book on the Amish, and my husband bought a shirt that proclaims " I love Intercourse" Intercourse being, of course, a nearby town. In the market area they also had bundles of dry flowers, and I would really have loved to take some home, I doubted they would make the trip all the way back to Tennessee in the car. Finally, as we left the area, we stopped by to get some home made root beer, in a glass bottle. It was more stout than the brands you can get at the store, but it was good and it was cold. A fun day can be spent here, especially if you enjoy riding around in the countryside. I'll give this area a B+.

No comments: